Features – SailTimer Wind Instrument RB™
● For sailboats of all sizes: keelboats, bluewater catamarans, trailer sailors, racing dinghies and even beach cats (no 12-volt battery required).
● Wireless. No wires to install down the mast and through the cabin walls. Less noise and weight aloft.
● Solar-powered renewable energy; can run day & night indefinitely. And now you can replace the battery or put it in a wall charger.
● The first wind cups designed for sailboats; the innovative blade shape maintains equal accuracy when sailing heeled over (unlike standard cup, ultrasonic and propeller anemometers).
● The first masthead anemometer with a digital compass right in the wind direction arrow.
● That means you even get wind direction while docked or swinging at anchor, when GPS heading is not available.
● With new features in app updates on iOS & Android, the Wind Instrument actually becomes more useful over time.
● For off-season storage, simply unplug the battery.
● SailTimer made the first-ever masthead anemometer that could transmit to tablets/smartphones, and this is the newest version.
● As Wikipedia notes, Bluetooth Low Energy has an official transmission distance of >330 feet (>100m). The Wind Instrument RB has our strongest transmissions yet, with 100 feet (30.5m) typical with obstruction and 280 feet (85m) with line of sight.
● The first masthead anemometer that works with rotating masts.
● Simple set-up: calibration to the bow of your boat is not required.
● Provides visual wind indicator and works equally well heeling over, unlike ultrasonic sensors. The air can’t flow straight through the horizontal slot on an ultrasonic device when it is leaning away from the wind.
● Small vertical design compared to the common horizontal structure, to prevent damage from large seabirds (and prevent bird droppings onto the boat below — major advantage!). Handheld size comparison.
● Better lightning protection with Delrin thermoplastic base and no wires coming down from the top of the mast.
● Masthead mount or portable with an L-bracket for walls/posts and adapter for 1/4″ tripod / Gorillapod / GoPro mount (see Accessories).
● Lithium (LFP) battery works in the full range of outdoor temperatures, with a longer lifespan of charge cycles than other lithium batteries (and far longer than traditional lead-acid rechargeable batteries).
● Works with lots of charting, wind gauge and performance apps.
● Air Link accessory for plugging in to on-board wired marine electronics using the industry-standard NMEA format.
● Wind direction equally sensitive all the way around; no dead band at the end of the rotation as in wind direction sensors with potentiometers.
● Transmits once a second.
● The first masthead anemometer with crowdsourcing of live wind maps.
● Even if your boat is already in the water, you can raise the Wind Instrument without having to lower or climb the mast. Another first!